Friday, June 1, 2018

Rollin with the Grizzlies


Last night, I had the privilege of attending a Memphis Rollin’ Grizzlies practice. During the hour and a half practice, we got to watch a scrimmage between the team of men in wheelchairs. After the practice was over, the players were very happy to let us try out their basketball chairs. The entire time we watched the practice, my friends and I were so impressed by how physical the sport really is. When people think about wheelchair sports, I am sure no one thinks about crashing into each other so hard that someone falls over. It was very interesting to see the athleticism that each man possessed. Wheelchair basketball is no easy feat, speaking from experience. The upper body strength that each man has is enough to get rid of the thought that people in wheelchairs are weak and need to be watched over and take care of.

After observing the practice, I think even my idea of the capabilities of people in wheelchairs was changed. I knew that they were capable of much more than what probably the majority of the public thinks, but I was so impressed by their athleticism and strength. After observing this practice, I feel like I can and will be a much better practitioner one day. I feel like now that I know about opportunities like this, I will be able to recommend resources like this and I will have a much better understanding of the level of independence that is possible for people with a double amputation or a spinal cord injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mock Interview Reflection

I feel like I learned a lot about myself during this mock interview. I have had about four formal interviews, two of them not really work...